Sheila’s Backyard BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and slivered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 28 oz tomatoes, crushed w/ juice
- 1½ cup ketchup
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 6 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons crystalized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Place the oil in a medium-sized heavy pot.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat until goldern brown.
- Stir in the garlic during the last minute.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and combine well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low and cook, stirring often, for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the sauce thickens and has a smooth texture.
- Remove the onion and garlic with a slotted spoon; discard.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a small amount of water.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate in covered containers for up to two weeks.
I came across a file with thousands of BBQ recipes. They look at least 10 years old and most don’t have any type of credit of where they came from. If you recognize a recipe please let me know so I can give proper credit.