Tri-Tip Sandwich With Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Author: Larry Gaian @BBQGrail
Recipe Type: Entree
- 1 Tri-Tip Roast, about 2½ pounds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup BBQ dry rub
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 ciabatta rolls, sliced and toasted
- Jack Cheese
- Condiments of your choice
- Set up smoker or grill for indirect heat cooking and pre-heat to 225 degrees (or your preferred temperature for smoking)
- Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil all over the tri-tip. Using the dry rub coat the tri-tip. Use as little or as much as you'd like of the dry rub. Just be sure to save at least 1 teaspoon for use on the onions.
- Smoke tri-tip until the internal temperature reaches 10 degrees less than your desired doneness. For this tri-tip I smoked it until it reached 135 degrees internal.
- Raise the heat on your smoker or grill to over 500 degrees and sear the meat on both sides until grill marks appear.
- Remove tri-tip from grill to cutting board or platter. Allow tri-tip to cool. Wrap tri-tip in plastic wrap as tight as you can. Refrigerate until cold.
- After it's good and cold remove from refrigerator and plastic wrap and slice as thinly as possible.
- Pre-heat a large skillet, cast iron works best. Lower temperature and add olive oil and onions to skillet.
- Slowly cook the onions on medium heat until they start to turn transparent. Don't char the onions, you want them to caramelize not burn..
- Add sugar and gently stir to melt the sugar.
- When the onions are a nice deep golden brown add the balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Build the sandwiches however you want. We like ours with mayo, jack cheese and horseradish sauce.