Real Texas Chili
Author: Kate Rowinski
Recipe Type: Chili
“Reprinted by permission of Skyhorse Publishing from The Ultimate Guide to Making Chili.”
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into inch cubes
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons masa harina
- 3 tablespoons Pendery's Original Chile Blend
- 1 tablespoon ground roasted cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- A few grinds of black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Place oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and saute the beef until it is evenly cooked but not brown. Add the onion and saute until softened. Add garlic and masa harina, stirring for about a minute.
- Add chile blend, cumin, oregano, beef stock, tomato puree, salt, and peppers.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours, stirring and tasting occasionally. During the last half hour, adjust the seasonings to your taste.