Recipe: Chicken Wings with Grilled Ginger Plum Coulis
Author: National Chicken Council
Recipe Type: Appetizer
- 4 pounds chicken wings, tips removed and cut at the joint
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 plums, halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place seasoned chicken wings and plum halves, cut side down, on grill. Reduce heat to medium and close grill cover. Grill plums for about 4 minutes on each side until soft but not falling apart. Remove plums to the bowl of a blender of food processor.
- Increase heat on grill to medium high. Continue to cook wings for about 8-10 minutes. Turn and grill for 10-15 minutes. Wings should register 170º F when tested with an instant read thermometer. Remove to a serving platter.
- While wings are grilling, to the plums add vinegar, hoisin sauce, ginger, soy, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and scallions. Process until smooth. Measure out ¼ cup plum coulis and reserve remaining sauce.
- During the last 3-4 minutes of grilling, baste wings with ¼ cup plum coulis.
- Drizzle wings with remaining coulis or serve coulis in a bowl on the side for dipping. Sprinkle wings with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.