Recipe: Catalan Grilled Chicken Leg Quarters
Author: National Chicken Council
Recipe Type: Entree
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 1 onion, medium sized, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¾ cup chorizo or other spicy sausage, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) whole, peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- ½ cup full-bodied red wine
- ½ cup pitted olives, chopped
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill. In small bowl, stir together cayenne pepper, cumin, cinnamon, salt and black pepper.
- Rub thoroughly over chicken leg quarters.
- Place on grill and cook, turning, until browned on all sides and beginning to firm, about 10 minutes total.
- While chicken is grilling, warm olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in chorizo; saute for 3 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes and red wine. Bring mixture to simmer and continue cooking until chicken is off the grill. Add chicken to pot. Stir in olives. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. To serve, put a piece of chicken in each of four large, shallow bowls. Top with sauce.