Author: Mrs. James H. Albright
Recipe Type: Side Dish
Grail Note: This is my favorite bean recipe of all time The Collection, Junior League of Austin Texas, 1976
- 1 lb dried pinto beans
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 4 to 5 inch smoked sausage, sliced
- Sort and rinse beans thoroughly
- Place beans in bowl with water to cover
- Add tomato sauce, all seasonings and bouillon cubes
- Soak beans overnight, stir occasionally
- Heat bacon drippings in heavy dutch oven, saute onions and sausage
- Pour in bean mixture
- Boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for approximately 8 hours.
- Beans should be covered by ¼ inch liquid the entire time. Stir occasionally.
- During the last two hours, mash some of the beans against the side of pot to thicken the pot likker.
- Beans are better if prepared the day before serving.