Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
Recipe Type: Entree
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, quartered and sliced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 peaches, peeled and pitted
- ⅓ cup sherry vinegar, or cider vin
- ⅓ cup dry sherry
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- salt, to taste
- 4 4 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Kaiser or other large rolls
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1 Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and starting to color, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add sugar, stirring until it dissolves and starts to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Add peaches and cook another 4 minutes, or until the mixture turns golden brown.
- Add vinegar and sherry, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened and jam-like, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in crushed peppercorns and season with salt. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare grill or preheat broiler. Place each chicken breast between two layers of plastic wrap and flatten gently with a rolling pin or heavy skillet until approximately ¼ inch thick.
- Brush chicken breasts lightly with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill or broil the chicken until no longer pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- While the chicken is cooking, toast the rolls on the grill or under the broiler.
- Place lettuce leaves on the bottom halves of the toasted rolls, followed by chicken. Top with peach-onion relish and the roll tops.