Carolina Pulled Pork Sauce
Recipe Type: BBQ Sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 24 oz canned tomatoes, drain ½ the juice
- 1½ cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbs mustard, yellow (like French's)
- 2 Tbs dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbs regular sugar
- ½ Tbs paprika, sweet Hungarian is best
- ½ Tbs salt
- ½ Tbs black pepper
- ½ Tbs chili powder
- ½ Tbs red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Sauté the onion and oil in heavy saucepan for 5 minutes or so. Add the remaining ingredients and let it simmer for an hour or 2 (until it thickens a bit and the flavors have a chance to fight it out and become one).
- Let the sauce cool down so it's easy to handle without burning your self. Take a hand blender and puree the stuff. You could also pour the sauce into your upright bender and puree it. I find it easier to use the hand
- Take your best pulled pork and put however much you want into a pan. Add as much sauce as you like to the meat and get it all nice and hot together.
- Pile your pulled pork and sauce mixture on a sandwich roll and enjoy.