Arkansas "No Wheat" Cornbread
Author: War Eagle Mill
Recipe Type: Side Dish
A gluten free cornbread with whole grain flavor and goodness.
- 2 cups War Eagle Mill Yellow or White Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Put the butter or oil in an 8-10 inch cast iron skillet* and place in the oven while preheating to 400 degrees.
- In medium size bowl stir together dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl combine eggs, buttermilk and honey or sugar.
- Add to cornmeal mixture. Stir to combine.
- When oven reaches temperature and butter is melted or hot (but not smoking), remove from oven. Make sure bottom and sides of pan are well coated.
- Pour the butter or oil into the batter and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into the hot pan. A good sizzle insures a crispy crust!
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 2 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cornbread, place a serving plate upside down on top and invert pan to remove cornbread.
- Slice in wedges.
*If you don't have a cast iron skillet, a 8-9 inch cake pan or 9 inch square baking pan will do fine. It will heat faster in the oven so make sure the butter or oil doesn't burn.