Apple-Honey Glazed Grilled Marinated Halibut with Lentil-Green Apple Salad
Author: Hot Off The Grill With Bobby Flay
Recipe Type: Entree
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 10 sprigs fresh marjoram
- 4 halibut fillets – (6 oz ea)
- Salt to taste
Lentil-Green Apple Salad
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 tart apples, cored, and cut into ⅛” slices
- Olive oil as needed
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 sprigs fresh marjoram
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1 shallot, minced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Glaze: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the ginger and cook an additional minute. Raise the heat to high, add the apple cider, brown sugar and honey and reduce to 1 cup. Let cool.
- Marinade: Combine marinade in a medium shallow baking dish. Add halibut fillets and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove halibut from marinade and season with salt. Grill, skin-side down for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or preferred doneness. During the last 1 minute of grilling, brush the skin side with the glaze. Remove from the grill and glaze each fillet again.
- Lentil-Green Apple Salad: Preheat grill to high. Brush onion slices and apple slices with olive oil and grill on both sides until golden brown. Remove from the grill and cut into dice.
- In a saucepan, combine lentils, marjoram, garlic, shallot, stock and water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook at a gentle simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are just tender, drain and place lentils in a medium bowl, removing the marjoram sprigs and garlic. Add the grilled apples and onions and drizzle with a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.