Grilled Turkey Burgers with Creamy Cole Slaw
Author: BBQ Grail
Recipe Type: Main
Courtesy Eat More Turkey
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ Cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ Teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 Pounds GROUND TURKEY
- 1 Small onion, minced
- ½ Cup fresh bread crumbs
- ⅓ Cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 Cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 Large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 Small onion, sliced thin
- In a small bowl, mash minced garlic with salt to form a paste.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, chili powder, cumin, Tabasco, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir turkey, onion, bread crumbs and ¼ cup barbecue sauce until well combined. Form into six ¾-inch thick patties.
- Divide remaining sauce in half; cover and reserve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and mustard.
- Add remaining cole slaw ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.
- NOTE: Cole slaw may be made 4 hours ahead and chilled.
- -inch pita loaves, split open to form pockets
- Prepare grill according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Grill turkey burgers on an oiled rack 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals, brushing frequently with barbecue sauce. Grill about 6 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Drizzle turkey burgers with remaining sauce and place in pita pocket. Serve with cole slaw.