All-American Stuffed Turkey Burger
Author: BBQ Grail
Recipe Type: Main
Courtesy Eat More Turkey
- 1 Pound GROUND TURKEY
- ¼ Cup uncooked quick oats
- 1 Large egg, beaten
- ½ Teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- ½ Cup onion, chopped
- ¼ Cup dill pickle relish, drained
- 2 Tablespoons catsup
- 2 Teaspoons prepared mustard
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 6 Lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 4-6 Tomato slices
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking.
- In medium bowl combine turkey, oats, egg, garlic powder and pepper. Divide turkey mixture in half. On 2 (each 10 X 11-inch) pieces wax paper, shape each half of turkey mixture into a 6-inch round patty.
- Sprinkle onions and relish over one patty, leaving ½-inch border around outside edge; top with catsup and mustard.
- Cut cheese into 4 equal strips and arrange cheese strips, spoke-fashion, over catsup and mustard. Carefully invert second turkey patty on top of cheese. Remove top layer of wax paper from turkey mixture. Press turkey patty edges together to seal.
- Lightly grease cold grill rack and position over hot coals. Invert giant turkey burger onto grill rack; remove wax paper.
- Grill burger 8 minutes per side or until internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached on meat thermometer. To turn burger, slide a flat cookie sheet under burger and invert onto another flat cookie sheet, then slide back onto grill rack*.
- To serve, cut burger into fourths. Serve with lettuce and tomato slices if desired.
*May also use greased grill basket if desired.