Brined & GrilledTurkey Steaks with Pineapple Sauce
Author: BBQ Grail
Recipe Type: Main
Courtesy Eat More Turkey
- 1 6 – Pound TURKEY BREAST, with skin, or substitute 12 4-ounce TURKEY CUTLETS
- 1 Cup honey
- 1 Cup salt
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 6 Cups cold water
- ½ Cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 Cups pineapple juice
- 1 Cup fruit cocktail juice
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon pepper
- ½ Teaspoon cumin
- ½ Teaspoon coriander
- ½ Teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ Teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ Cup sweet onion, minced
- Remove turkey breast from bone with a boning knife. Gently pull breast from bone. Separate breast into two lobes. (If desired, save bones for turkey stock.)
- Combine honey, salt, basil, thyme, water and vinegar in saucepan.
- Bring mixture to boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature
- Place turkey breasts or cutlets into large glass or other noncorrosive bowl or dish.
- Pour brine mixture over turkey.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Slice turkey breast into steak-size portions, ¾-inch thick and ¼–pound each.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in saucepan.
- Bring to low boil, then reduce heat.
- Maintain over low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate until served.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick vegetable spray. Prepare grill for direct cooking method.
- Remove turkey steaks from marinade and discard brine. Place steaks on grill rack, 4 inches from medium heat. Grill about 8-10 minutes and turn once. Continue to grill another 8-10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F.
- Serve with an accompaniment of Pineapple Sauce.