Bobby Flay's Mesa BBQ Sauce
Author: Bobby Flay
Recipe Type: BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely diced
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon pasilla chile powder (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Heat the canola oil until almost smoking in a large saucepan over medium heat and sweat the onion and garlic until softened but not colored, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes. Pour the mixture in a food processor and puree.
- Pour into a medium bowl and let cool to room temperature. May be refrigerated up to 1 week or frozen.
Ancho and pasilla chile powders are available at Hispanic or gourmet markets.
Recipe by at http://www.embersandflame.com/recipes/bobby-flays-mesa-bbq-sauce/