Blue Cornbread And Red Chile Butter
Author: Hot Off The Grill With Bobby Flay
Recipe Type: Side Dish
- ½ pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups coarsely-ground blue cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 canned chipotle
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine the butter, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, eggs, and salt. Process 20 to 30 seconds, until just mixed. You may have to do this in 2 batches. Pour in the buttermilk and process for 20 seconds more.
- Pour into a buttered 12- by 12-inch pan, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden. Cut into squares. Serve hot with Red Chile Butter.
- In a food processor, combine the butter, chipotle, garlic, onion, and salt and pepper to taste. Process until completely mixed.
- Spread the butter in a cylinder about 1-inch in diameter along the long side of a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper, leaving a 1-inch border. Roll up the butter in the paper to make a log. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
Recipe by at http://www.embersandflame.com/recipes/blue-cornbread-and-red-chile-butter/