APL’s Dressed Arugula
Author: Reprinted with permission from Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang
Recipe Type: Side Dish
What pickled ginger is to sushi, this zippy salad should be to barbecue. Tangy, well-dressed greens act as a foil for all that meaty richness. I like arugula’s peppery bite and its body, which can stand up to lots of lemon juice without wilting. I usually just serve this in a bowl, but man, does it make a killer topping for a sandwich of my Crisp and Unctuous Pork Belly and homemade Applesauce.
- 8 cups baby arugula
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Zest (grated on a Microplane grater) and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced serrano chile (optional)
- ½ teaspoon fleur de sel
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- In a serving bowl, toss together the arugula, onion, and parsley.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon zest and juice, olive oil, vinegar, chile, if using, fleur de sel, and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing into the bowl of arugula and, using your hands, toss to coat the greens. Serve immediately.